Saturday, June 30, 2007

Born Engineer

Since the day I left BIT & came home, there has not been a single day when these words have not been crammed into my ears “beta, ye to tumhara last vacation hai ghar pe..jitna aish karna hai kar lo” And all these days at home, I am seriously trying HARD to enjoy my vacation. And as a result of one of such attempts, I have started playing carom with my family.

Last evening we were engrossed in a game of carom when suddenly the tube light of my drawing room went out. “We will have to buy a new tube light” was the obvious reply of my brother. But on closer inspection we found out that there was no power in the drawing room and kitchen. My brother’s n my only concern was “TV”. Without wasting even a second, we checked out all the fuse wires but all the fuse wires were intact. My parents decided to call an electrician but it would be possible only by 2mrw. That means one night without TV—this is the only time my brother gets to watch HBO n Zee Studio and the only time I get to be online without any disturbance (my brother being hooked to TV)..So our eyes met each other and in a glance it was decided that time has come to prove that we are engineers.

My father, aware of our intentions, said, “The entire wiring needs to be checked. We have to go for dinner and I don’t want to be late for any avoidable reasons…and above all 12 hrs without TV would do you no harm.”

Me : “but papa you should give me at least one chance to prove that I m an engg now ( I know this is the most irrelevant reason but it was the only one my pea sized brain could think of..)”

Papa : “haan ab computer engg power problems handle karega!!!”

Within five minutes I arranged all the necessary tools—emergency light, screwdriver, tester, plier…down went the main switch of our house & I started checking from the fuse board. Taking full advantage of beginner’s luck, within 5 mins I found out that a wire coming out of one of the fuses was burnt & disconnected..n the only thing left was connecting it back to the fuse board. Victory could already be seen on my face but to my utter surprise I could not open the screw of that connection point however hard I tried. “The nut is free” was the only consolation I could give myself n passed the screwdriver to my brother (who was the first to mock at me..) and to my relief even he could not!!

Finally we concluded that it’s the job of an electrician and not an engg ( I always have consolations for me..hehe ) and what we did next shows what enggs are best at….if you cannot solve a problem, change the problem….so we shifted the TV to dinning hall, connected it via extension cord to another switch & finally the TV was working. Beaming with pride I switched on the TV only to find that its picture tube was damaged and my parents said a HUGE NO when I said “papa, soldering has dried out…just bring me a soldering rod and I will bring back color to this TV!!!”

15 comments:

dee said...

d best till date.... :)

kittna galatfaimi mein jeeti thi tum...chalo accha hai duur ho hi gaya...best toh apne " beejlee mistry " dono ko khabar kar deti...sunne hai woh log bhi filhaal bekaar hi hain...lolzz.. ;)

all sympathies wit uncle aunty this tym though...nd ur kiddo bhai too...tum toh usko "benefit f power cut" deti nahi...ki woh nxt day tak apna teevee slot xtnd kar le...beechara...ussko toh bhugatna hi pada hoga...

dragondiver said...

talkin to u always brings smile on lips....... i never thought ur writing would make me laugh too..... a very well written article...... readin it, i was imaginin the amount of fun t would have been...... weather bein in heave........ downloading the undownloadable........ or the bijli, jo tumhe dekh kar sharma gayi ho.......
nice way to bring ur thoughts for sharing with us all...... do keep sharing ur thoughts......

prashant singh said...

have you ever imagined , there existed a world even before the likes of TV and computer were invented.

anu said...

hehe.. kyun aapne aapko bijli mistri samjahne lagi ho.. :))
nice post vaise... keep enertanin us with more such xperinces of urs..

Unknown said...

finally i gotta right a comment...brilliant..waise to mujhe lagta hai aapko apna profession change kar lena chahiye... if nt n engineer, a freelancer hi sahi:)aise experiences ab TOI me rarely padhne ko milte hai..wud b glad if u help thm out n me too... m tired of reading those boring articles..gr8..keep it up..hp tere nxt article k liye bhi comment likh paun.

sharad said...

yaar even i am an engineer..but seriously mai itna mehnat nahi karta just to watch tv and be on my computer..guess, i have an extra quality..being lazy to the core:)..
mast likha hai..i liked the "if u cant solve a problem, change d problem part"..we learnt and mastered dis art at college, after all :)

Anonymous said...

now thts a smart engg. mind but uncle aunty ko kitna pareshaan karte ho dono k dono!!phewwwwww................buts thts d story f every1 f us.rily well written!

prashant singh said...

not exactly commenting on this post

but i cd not figure out how to convey my appreciation for re-christening of ur blog.

u know what , u hv put ppl in a fix, they r left with no choice but to appreciate the humour angle of ur posts. after all who wants to admit that he doesnt hv sense of humour

Saurabh Khadke said...

tv dekhne ke liye itna fight!...baap re!...if it happens in my house i just do what any comp eng would do...i just switch the mains on and off a coupla times...if it works then good..if not!?....well the problem is not in my domain then!!..ha ha ha...all in all nice article...

p.s. all articles are of personal experiences so far...waiting for something on a more general topic...i bet that would be just as good!!

pallavi said...

@prashant
this is my way of asking for comments now!!!!!!!!! i know you would appreciate this way f mine as you hv a RARE sense of humour!!!!

Unknown said...

hehehe...achha tha...really enjoyed!!! kaafi logo ka sense of humour check kar chuki ho tum..hmmm..liked ur spirit..ek din ke liye itni mehnat!!! shaayad hi koi kare...
very nicely written...looking forward to some more aise hi blogs of urs!!!

Shruti said...

Hi,
came here form Deepshikha's blog..
Lol..its hillarious..
Love to read it..

Take care

Musings!!!! said...

sorry for reading ur post so late but good one......

Unknown said...

wah jawaab nahi tumhara- ek to char saal fakaiti kar computer engineer bani ho uspar electrical connections thik karne chali gayi!!!! Waise achcha hi hua waham duur ho gayi ;). Anyways ab thodi badai ki bari hai- nice narration, especially i could relate so much to the touch of family togetherness playing carom together, the sibling rivalry in each one trying 2 show better skills than the other.

Unknown said...

hey i know engs are mosly dumb...u jus proved t.....u know doctors and navy personnels are better..hehehe...