Tuesday, February 10, 2009

I was at a loss of comments after this...see if you can add a few...

Every day when I leave my guest house at 730 in the morning, a small poor boy wearing the minimum clothes and that too in the worst conditions would be sitting at the gate selling flowers. Though I never bought flowers from him, we used to exchange glances and smiles. In this 1 year, we had never spoken to each other but still never missed to smile. One day, he took a few flowers in his hand and said something in tamil. With 1 years' experience of conversing with auto walas and shopkeepers I could make out that he was asking me to buy some of those. I told him that I did not need one and hurried towards my bus stop. He continued mentioning something about school and sister and followed me. Because of him, all my days here had started with a smile, so I thought I could do this much for him. I took 2 flowers and reached out for my wallet. Then I realized that I did not have change and had only 100 rupee note. I was still in two minds when that boy took the 100 rupee note and ran for change. I was already late for my bus and did not want to miss my bus and be late for office. I boarded the bus thinking that I paid 100 rupees for the smiles I started my days with all these days.

Next two days I did not see that boy at my gate. Wondered if he ran away with my money or was he sitting here all these days for an opportunity like this. Another day passed and on the next evening a girl came at my door. She was of the same age as that boy and was no better dressed than him. She first said something in tamil which I could not understand and then handed over 80 rupees. I tried asking her the reason but she could not understand me. We struggled for 5 mins but neither of us could understand anything. Then I called the care taker of my guest house and asked him to translate what the girl was saying. I had nothing to say after I understood what the girl was saying.

The boy who used to sell flowers at the doorstep was her brother and he had asked her to give me that money. He had met with an accident that day and was seriously injured. However before taking his last breath he had given his sister 95 rupees and had asked her to return it to me. The girl apologized further and said that 15 rupees was spent in her brothers' treatment and that she would return it after some days.

I was too touched to say anything and by the time I realized what I should do, she had left the place handing me the 80 rupees.

4 comments:

as always ununderstandable said...

well seriously this would leave anyone spell bound.... And me no different... Just that creator of this world probably has every one's destiny already written but it is upto us to make the best of it and help others not so lucky as us to make it their best...

Srikanth said...

hey... u mentioned "last breadth"... I still hope he was injured and is recovering now...

pallavi said...

i wish it were so...but unfortunately it's not so...

RocKX said...

Pallavi....wat 2 say...aftr reading this m speechless...i just hope there wont be another flower seller with the same plight....